Today is the day we celebrate one of the most loving person, yes, MOM, but I’d like to also celebrate all those other women out there who are moms in the inside, who have that motherly instinct and love but biologically are not a mom yet.
One of my biggest dreams is to someday have a child of my own, maybe two, and become the loving and super mom I know I have in me. But until that happens, I don’t want to pass by another mother’s day without celebrating… me.
Since very young, I’ve had the dream of becoming a mom someday, but as the years passed and still single at 38, mother’s day was a reminder of what I was not yet, a mom. And it becomes challenging as another year rolls by with thoughts like: are my eggs still viable?, should I freeze my eggs?, will I find the right person in time?, should I consider adoption?….. become normal topics of conversation among women in this group.
I am sure someday I will get roses on this day, but in the meantime I wanted to acknowledge all those women out there, who like me, still aspire to become moms, or already feel like one, or have that role with some members in their family.
Don’t punish yourself with thought of frustration, failure and emptiness because mom are also those go give unconditionally to their loved ones. I believe it is second nature a woman has of providing nurture and love, maternal instinct.
I believe all women are mothers, regardless or having birthed a child or not
So if you can relate, or know someone who is in these same shoes, let’s celebrate!! Celebrate being a woman, celebrate yourself, give yourself permission to also get the attention and love that you deserve, after all:
• You are a mom if you don’t have a kid of your own but helped raised one
• You are a mom if you don’t have biological kids but are a step-mom
• You are a mom if you love to spoil your nieces and nephews,
• you are a mom when you selflessly give to others,
• you are a mom when you care for people other than your family,
• you are a mom when you look at other mom’s with their kids and you silently send them love,
• and definitely you are a mom if you have furry kids, I have one, my kitty Velcro who I adore to death and feel so blessed to have her.
How to celebrate yourself for mother’s day: (lots of self-care on this day)
• Get yourself a spa day, a massage, a facial or simply take a bath at home with some epson salt and some essential oils.
• Give yourself flowers (this is really for any time of the year)
• Spend time with your own mom. This is almost a given, but when you do, look at her and really appreciate every little thing about her. Put yourself in her shoes and understand what it was like to be a mom for her.
• If you had a ‘different’ relationship with your own mom, forgive any harsh moment from the past and let go of resentment and what you feel you missed.
What to do with all that bursting love in your heart to care and give to others??
• Dedicate time at a single moms homeless shelter
• Volunteer to educate young women on prevention of an unwanted pregnancy
• Volunteer at an afterschool program to help kids with their homework
• Have you considered fostering a child? It takes commitment but it also will help a child in transitioning for adoption
• Give extra love to every one in your family, kid or not.
“A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary’ – Dorothy Canfield Fisher