Cacao, considered a superfood and the primary ingredient in chocolate making. I came close to it when I went to Peru in March this year and helped a good friend of mine to harvest from his orchard up in the jungle. It was a wonderful experience that I will try to make repeat each year 🙂
If you like hot chocolate, you will like this better version – a delicious and sexy drink, yes SEXY!!! The earthy flavor of the cacao, and the spicy taste of ginger give this drink a zing that is comforting. Raw cacao is high in antioxidant, resveratrol also found in red wine, so it helps protect the nervous system and guards against toxins, it is also rich in minerals. Some health benefits include: protects the nervous system, lowers insulin resistance, reduces risk of cardiovascular disease, loaded with antioxidants (helps with free-radicals) and most importantly –> BOOSTS YOUR MOOD!!
Do not confuse cacao with cocoa, because in cocoa powder, many brands have added sugar, a big no-no!
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs or powder
- 1 tbsp maca this one provides energy
- 1 small piece ginger
- 1 cup almond milk (or coconut) see side note
- 1 cup tea (I usually use burdock, dandelion roots or even mushroom tea)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1-2 dates or honey (optional)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (this makes it frothy)
- pinch sea salt
- Put all ingredients in a Vitamix (or any high speed blender) and blend away! If using Vitamix, the water doesn’t need to be hot, just set to high speed for at least a minute and it will warm up. If using a regular blender, you can either use hot water or warm up on the stove but not letting it boil.
- MILK side note: it is much better if using homemade almond milk (or any nut milk) because if not strained, you can use the pulp (or meat) of the nut, which adds more body to the drink.