One thing I love about summer is the vibrant foods, freshness of ingredients and of course, how easy it can be to make healthy salads. This recipe came about as I found myself with a huge 5 lbs watermelon that I got at the store. It might not be too much, but for one person only and not that we could save left over watermelon for a while, so I had to resource in different ways to enjoy it. I mean, I love watermelon and I could easily eat it all in a couple of sittings, oops! But with its high sugar content and very little fiber, I had to mix it up into ways to enjoy the flavor while also getting nutritious foods that keep me satisfied.
- 2 handful of chopped curly kale (or any other kale)
- 2 cups watermelon, cut in bite size cubes (or more, I just kept adding more to my plate, cuz I *heart* watermelon)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked barley (or any other grain)
- 1/2 small red onions, julienned or diced
- 3 tbsp pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- lemon vinaigrette (lemon juice, zest, olive oil, a splash of vinegar, salt and pepper)
You can add the vinaigrette to the kale in advance to soften. Add the rest of the ingredients and enjoy.
As you can tell, the kale and barley can withhold the dressing, so you can totally make this in advance or for lunch the next day, but keep the watermelon, cheese and pepitas separate. Just add at the last minute.
Very refreshing and delicious!